Community Garden Gives City Students a Taste of the Outside

Tasnum Raja, Staff Writer

Burlington City offers a lot of different programs for students, one of which is the BCHS Community Garden. 

The garden is located next to the South Jersey Family Medical Center. This all began the fall of the 2017-2018 school year.

The team meets up during smart lunch on Thursdays, beginning at 10:50 am and finishing at 12:00 pm. 

This committee was originally started by Mr. Flynn. 

Mr. Flynn met up with a representative from South Jersey Family Medical center and a team from NYC. Their goal is to create outdoor garden projects that supply the community with fresh food. 

The garden contains many nutritious plants. “The community garden has a lot of different healthy food options, such as, but not limited to kale and spinach,” Mrs. Duncan, a counselor at BCHS, who is also involved in the garden, explained. “The students use the ingredients from the garden to prepare a family-style meal with a NYC chef. In addition, the students planted flowers this Fall.” 

The students who participate and are involved in this committee are responsible and hard-working and, according to Ms. Duncan, they work together very well. “The team gets along really well,” she praised. “They work together to maintain the community garden and ensure all of the necessary work gets done to sustain the growth of the plants.”

If you are interested in joining the team, talk to Ms. Duncan or Mr.Flynn. You can be apart of something great.