Mock Elections Held at BCHS

Chris-Tina Middlebrook, Lead Writer

While the pandemic has caused a number of changes throughout the year, one thing that has been an absolutely certainty was this year’s Presidential election.

This year, like many other years, Burlington City conducted its own Mock Election.

From October 30th to November 2nd, over the course of those four days, students were given the opportunity to vote for, not only our next President, but our next congressman, and senator.

“I think that this year’s election was pretty important to most students especially due to the impacts of the pandemic,” Mrs. Andris, a teacher at Burlington City High School, said. “I think that it is important that we start exercising our rights early if we are eligible to vote and if we aren’t this was a great way to still take part in a mock election.”

The candidates that were on the ballot for New Jersey’s next congressman were Democrat Andy Kim and Republican David Richter.

The results indicated a landslide as Andy Kim received a total of 299 votes, while David Richter had only received 22.

Next, students voted for who they felt should be the next senator for New Jersey.

The candidates on the ballot were incumbent senator Corey Booker, a Democrat, and Rikin Mehta, a Republican.

Corey Booker remained our state senator with a total of 208 votes while challenger Rikin Mehta only received 41 votes.

Last (but obviously not least), students were given the chance to vote for who they believed should be the next President of the United States.

Students had the opportunity to vote for either incumbent President Donald Trump (along with Mike Pence as Vice President), or challenger Joe Biden (With Kamala Harris as his Vice President). In the end, Donald Trump received 91 votes, while Joe Biden and Kamala Harris (our nation’s first female Vice President) received 539 votes.

When asked about the turnout for the mock election, Erin Kiple, a Senior at BCHS, said, “I think that we had a great turnout for students who participated in this event. We can’t guarantee that everyone would participate, but I am glad that some students actively participated.”

Although much emphasis has been placed on this year’s election, all elections are important. Elections provide the citizens of the United States the opportunity to have a voice by electing those individuals they feel would best represent them. Elections also give individuals the opportunity to voice their opinion on different debated topics, such as gun control, medicinal drug use, as well as other hard-hitting discussions.

While many believe that these positions, or whoever has been elected to fill those positions, have no direct influence on their personal lives and this simply is not true.

Every vote counts regardless of whom you are voting for. With that in mind, please be sure to get out there when it is time to vote and cast your vote. You matter and your vote matters for the good of the state, as well as the good of the nation.