Girls Club Returns to BCHS

Chris-Tina Middlebrook, Lead Writer

With fall and winter sports on hold this year, a variety of clubs and activities were approved to give students that opportunity. One club, in particular, was the “Girls Club.”

“It is a safe space to discuss gender and how it influences our lives and dictates our movements as people,” Mrs. Clark, the supervisor of the “Girls Club,” said. “The conversation is heavily influenced by, but not exclusive to femaleness, and all identities are encouraged to participate in the conversation.”

The club offers students the opportunity for any individual, regardless of gender, to talk about meaningful issues that can impact everyone either directly or indirectly.

The club was also designed to cover a wide variety of topics, many of which are not exclusive to one gender or another.

“Intersectionality,” Mrs. Clark began. “culture, toxic masculinity, gender roles, social impacts, and expectations, worth, empowerment, identity, visibility, wage gaps, advertisements, stereotypes, politics, language, history, and law.”

The goal of the club is to encourage discussion for all genders, not just women. The club invites conversations and allows individuals with different perspectives to come together on these issues.

“Gender issues are at the crux of so many arguments and issues in American and global society,” Mrs. Clark said. “In so many ways, we are so much luckier than females around the world, and in so many ways, we are behind.”

Mrs. Clark also said that her mission was to, “prove that ‘feminism’ is not a bad word; it is different for a lot of people, and it does not need to be (nor should it be) exclusionary to any form of human being on earth.”

Mrs. Clark asks for a call to action in order to help people come to the realization of the effects of gender roles. She also feels as though we are not doing our job if people still feel burdened by gender roles that that if half of the humans in space are feeling oppressed because of their gender, that we as a society are not doing the best we can do.

“There is much to be talked about not only among people who identify as girls and women, but boys and men need to be a part of the conversation, too,” Mrs. Clark said. “If you were raised by a woman, or you love and admire a woman, or you find yourself interacting with women regularly (which is purposely vague to cover pretty much every human on earth), you need to be part of the conversation.”

Mrs. Clark also believes that everyone is affected by gender roles and that everyone, regardless of who you like, your identification, or who you are, you have a seat at the table.

“I am determined to create a safe space to exist,” Mrs. Clark said, “to find support and share insight and ideas. Voices are wanted and needed for Girls Club to exist, and the more diversity, the better. I hope people find their voices here.” Her words tell us that her club is a safe space for all people, so you don’t have to be afraid to join.”

Mrs. Clark also hopes that a number of concepts can be taken away from her club and the discussions she plans on having over the course of the year.

“Feminism is not a girl thing,” Mrs. Clark said. “It is not a man-hating thing. We want to hear male voices, too. However, with all that said, it is foremost important that girls find their voice and learn how and when to use it. Then, after they have absorbed a thing or two, they take it and spread the empowerment around.”

In all, Mrs. Clark wants her members to gain more knowledge about these topics and spread these ideas around the world to empower others.

The “Girls Club” is an all-inclusive club that anyone who is interested can be able to join regardless of who they are.

If you are interested in the “Girls Club,” the club meets on Wednesdays from 2:40 to 3:40 PM. Be sure to check it out by joining the classroom through the code clxuj3m