Pros and Cons of Hybrid Learning

Connor Eckert-Warren, Staff Writer

Due to the effects of the Coronavirus, students and teachers around the globe were forced to resort to a more safe and cautious form of learning.

As I’m sure you know, remote learning was the way that many school districts chose to deal with the pandemic.

Obviously, we couldn’t just stay out of school and do nothing.

Remote learning utilizes applications like Zoom and Google Classroom in order to teach students from home. This learning situation has many pros and cons.

Some people may like it while others don’t.

A couple of pros remote learning has is the fact that students are able to attend school in the comfort of their own home and offers the protection of exposure while still receiving instruction.

On the other hand,  remote learning creates a lack of physical interaction and students must sometimes deal with technical difficulties.

The first pro I’d like to talk about is the way that students are now allowed to attend school from the comfort of their own home.

This can be counted as a pro for many students. If a student doesn’t feel comfortable being really anywhere else besides their own home, remote learning provides a safe space. Some students have benefited from this type of instruction.

While I don’t think always running away from physical interactions with others is a good thing, some people may just feel comfortable physically being alone when they attend school. Eventually, the effects of not actually being around people that make them nervous, shy students may participate in class more whether they answer questions in class or stay on top of their work, overall it can be viewed as a plus.

The second pro is the flexibility remote learning offers.

With remote learning in place, you have more freedom to choose the environment in which learning takes place. Also, Google Classroom often allows students the ability to catch up on work if they are missing assignments. Students are constantly kept up-to-date on what work is due and when it is due.  Remote learning often allows a little more flexibility, which can be critical during the pandemic.

One of the cons when it comes to remote learning is the lack of physical interaction.

While being away from students can have a somewhat positive effect on students short-term, long-term it could cause some problems.

Humans are creatures that like to interact with each other.

Everyone has friends they like to hang out with as well as physically being in the classroom. But with the pandemic, we have been forced to drop all of that. Learning things remotely is way different than being in a classroom.

It’s easier for the teacher to interact with the students when in a classroom. They are also able to see what works best for their students and how they can help them. With remote learning that makes gathering that information a lot harder. As well as making those students lose interaction with other students. I think teachers have done a good job using break-out rooms, but social interaction on Zoom is not the same.

The last con for remote learning is that students can run into technical difficulties and being at home, it is hard to get assistance.

Everyone has a different living situation. One student might have a computer at home and a perfect internet connection while another student may not and while the school has worked hard to get computers and internet to everyone, students may still run into issues on any given day. This is obviously a problem because if a student runs into a problem they could miss class and fall behind.

Overall, remote learning was a great solution to the pandemic. It allows students to stay safe and continue their educational careers.

While it may have some cons, I think the pros outweigh them by a lot, and this situation is way better than the alternative. Which would either be forcing students to come into class anyway or shut schools down as a whole, halting each and every student’s education.

Neither of those two options is a good or reasonable solution.