Terrific Season for Blue Devil Track

Ashonti Gandy, Staff Writer

The Burlington City Boys and Girls Track Team had another terrific season.

With the dwindling amount of people joining the team each year, Coach Gurry had to work his kids extra hard this year.      With rigorous practices every day of the week except Sundays, the track team of twenty was doing as well as teams with 50 players.

“It just takes hard work and dedication. You’ll always go far with those, even if the odds are against you” Coach Gurry stated.

The season was one of firsts as both teams competed at the Penn Relays in April, which was the first time in years that both teams competed.

“They represented Burlington City very well,” Coach Gurry had said regarding their presence at the Relays.

The team also had a number of outstanding athletes who were rewarded for their hard work over the season. On the boys side Jonathan Cunningham made first team in the 100 meter and 200 meter run in the Freedom division. Also, Iree McNair made first team in the 400 meter run and Samad Landrum made first team in the 400 meter hurdles.   On the girls side, two girls made second team Freedom Division. Niesha Wahl made second team in the high jump, while Raniya Bruton-Moore made second team in the 100 meter run. The girls 4×100 relay team competed at the State Sectionals and moved up six places, a great improvement over the year and a huge win for Burlington City.   The team will be saying goodbye to a few outstanding seniors, which includes Richards Ricks, Jonathan Cunningham and Cody Seay.

“They will be missed and very hard to replace,” Coach Gurry said.

People think track and field is just running and throwing big, pointy sticks but there is more to it. It takes technique, skills, hard work and dedication to be part of the team and many young students do not recognize that. This is a sport anyone can do, whether it be running, throwing, or even jumping. It is something that can keep you active and in shape, as well as make new friends.   “We expect to have another great season in 2018 and invite everyone to join the teams. Track is the best!”