The 2019 Burlington City High School Spring Concert

Spring Concert A Big Hit

Erin Kiple and Hannah Ebner

In Burlington City, attending the Burlington City School Districts’ concerts have become a tradition for many residents young and old. The annual Burlington City High School spring concert is no exception.

Many gathered together in the BCHS auditorium on Thursday, May 22, 2019, to witness the talents of the various groups the BCHS Music Department has to offer.

Directed by Mr. May and Mr. Cajio, the groups that performed for the audience included the Concert Choir, Jazz Choir, Concert Band, and Jazz Band. These groups have been preparing their musical selections for months on end.

We spoke to Mr. May about how he chose the repertoire for this years show. He told us, “The repertoire was kind of chosen by personal selection and also by committee with the students.”

He also spoke on challenging his students with some of the selections that performed this year. He said, “I especially wanted to do one of the choir selections because it involved learning a second language.”

The selection mentioned is titled “The Prayer”, which involved learning some Italian. It was a challenge for the choir, but they executed it well.

Whenever there is a performance, things can always go wrong. No performance is perfect for everyone on stage.

We asked Mr. May if there was anything he would fix about the performance on Thursday night. He responded, “There are always things that can be fixed during a performance, but I was overall happy with the performance that the students gave. I like to see my students grow as musicians as they prepare and perform the repertoire.”

Now that this year’s show has been completed, we asked Mr. May if he was thinking ahead to next years show.

“There are a lot of ideas up in the air as of now. I am working with the art teachers to develop a theme, but nothing is set in stone as of yet.”

We will all have to wait and see what amazing performances and surprises are in store for us for the 2020 BCHS Spring Concert.