Big Outing For City Boys’ Track Team

City Boys' Track Team Bring Pride to Burlington City

Nijel Perry, Staff Writer

On Saturday, May 26, the Burlington City Boy High School Track team competed in Central Jersey Group 1 sectionals in Howell, New Jersey. There were 21 other teams competing against the Burlington City Blue Devils and despite this, the Blue Devil Track Team still had 5 students place within the top 5 in many of the races.

Senior Darnell Williams placed 2nd in the 400 hurdles, closely missing out on a first place finish by mere seconds. Darnell also did well in the 200 meter dash, taking 6th behind the likes of Willingboro, STEM Civics and South Hunterdon.

Junior Ameir Pitman also represented City throwers this past weekend, taking 2nd place in javelin with an amazing 148 foot throw, missing out on first by 3 feet.

Devon Bembridge was the champion in the 400 meter dash, beating out amazing runners from both Willingboro and Roselle Park. But that was not all for Devon, who placed 3rd in the 800 meter dash an amazing time of 2:00.71.

City’s victories did not end there as the City Boy’s also placed 3rd in the 4×4 relay race. Th 4X4 team consisted of Kyle Cutshaw, Davistor Shannon, Darnell Williams, and Amir Landrum and the team finished with an amazing time of 3:35.85.

Finally, the 4×8 relay team, which consisted of Amir Landrum, Kyle Cutshaw, Davister Shannon, and Isa Aykit, also did a fantastic job at handing the batons off and not giving up, taking 3rd place behind South Hunterdon and Willingboro with a stellar time of 3:35.85.

In the end, the members of the Burlington City Boys’ Track team walked away with their heads held high, bringing great pride to their team and to Burlington City.